Musings

Musings defined: ponderings, reflections, meditations, contemplations.
I aim to share experiences, past and present, with the goal of learning and appreciating what life presents.

Monday 4 July 2011

Father's Day, June 19, 2011

Father's Day was a wonderful time for me. Mom bought me a out door's lounging chair that she knew I was looking at in newspaper fliers. She wouldn't let me see the box or buy anything. She made a good choice. The wait was worth it. At church all fathers were given delicious home made cookies. When we came home I put my chair right in the middle of the living room (the next day it went out on the deck)and enjoyed a relaxing time, until the phone started ringing. I so much enjoyed long conversations with nearly every one of our children. Nice to hear them say good things about me. Brightened me right up. And delighted to hear what is happening in their lives and their families. We (I let Mom enjoy your phone calls a little too) kept talking until bedtime at 10 pm. I think we should have Father's Day more often.

I sometimes reflect on the research studies which conclude that absentee fathers are a leading cause of social problems in our society. Just as I believe that the most challenging role for women is that of mother; I believe the most challenging role for men is that of father. But I am quick to add that this father feels very rewarded by each of his children. I am happy for the sacrifices Mom and I made when our children were growing up. Even today our goal is to save for an inheritance for each one of them. I also recognize that my example influences everyone in the family and that motivates me to be a better person. I still have a long way to go, but I'm better than I would have been without children. So Father's Day means a lot to me.

Rebecca will be happy to know that our challenge to each other to be more physically active is having results. This morning I left our home with Mom at 6:20 AM and spent an hour at the swimming pool in an aquafit class. Before we left home I weighed myself. When I returned I weighed two pounds less. It felt like I should weigh less too with all the jumping around in the water. And I am using my Groupon to get my newly acquired mountain bike ($20 at the neighbour's garage sale) reconditioned. There is hope for me yet. Tonight at Bakker's I hope to play ping pong.

My bit of wisdom today: Ultimate success is not measured by how much wealth we have acquired, but by how many people we love. There are times when it is harder to show love to those we care about most because we are so close and because it matters so much; but it is in those moments of buttons being pushed and frayed nerves; along with those tender moments of kindly sharing our love in word and deed; of helping others to learn life's hard lessons but in a kindly way - all this builds eternal families.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear you're keeping up your end of the bargain, dad! Looks like I have some work to do to keep up with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look like mom picked out a great lounger for you! Maybe I should join in with you and Becca; I'm such a lazy slug!

    ReplyDelete